Nathan L. Winegar
Nathan has considerable experience representing companies and individuals in a variety of business disputes. He specializes in complex insurance litigation involving insurance coverage and related extra-contractual claims. In 2015, Nathan was recognized as a “Rising Star” in Insurance Coverage by California Super Lawyers. He regularly represents clients in insurance related lawsuits in state and federal courts throughout the country.
Besides handling insurance related litigation, Nathan assists insurance carriers in avoiding coverage disputes and in preventing bad faith claims. He provides advice on compliance with state insurance requirements and he monitors the ever-evolving regulatory environment so clients can meet and exceed the pertinent standards. He helps implement best practices in all aspects of the insurance business, including underwriting and claims handling. When lawsuits cannot be avoided, he successfully litigates them through trial, if necessary.
Nathan is a member of the firm’s aviation practice team, counseling airlines, pilots, maintenance facilities and other clients on compliance with Federal Aviation Regulations. He also represents them in lawsuits arising out of aviation crashes and disasters. He has participated in trials of complex aviation matters involving product defect, negligence and breach of warranty claims. He also is actively involved in the litigation of complex transportation and trucking claims.
Nathan’s experience in media law began after law school when he served for one year as the Jack Nelson Legal Fellow at the Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press in Washington, D.C. He drafted appellate briefs and worked in the Freedom of Information Service Center for the nonprofit organization, which advocates for the legal rights of journalists. He now counsels media clients, including journalists and authors, in a variety of contract, business, government access and First Amendment issues.
Areas of Practice
- Insurance Bad Faith
- Insurance Coverage
- Transportation and Trucking
- Business Law
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court Central District of California
- Boston College Law School, Boston, Massachusetts
- Northwestern University
- Major: Journalism
- "Causation Clear But For Jury Instructions," Defense Comment Magazine, 2010
- State Open Government Law and Practice in a Post- 9/11 World, 2007
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Association of Defense Counsel of Northern California and Nevada
Past Employment Positions
- Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press near Washington, D.C., Jack Nelson Legal Fellow